Wednesday 20 December 2017

Spring garden!


Yesterday was the start of Spring here. We did have a couple of cold days here last week but since then the sun has been shining.
Some early daffodils are already in flower....though not yet in my clifftop  garden.
Camellias have fat buds ready to open...the mahonia is in full flower..and yet again tiny raspberries have appeared on the canes given to me by my son.
Small miracles these but ones I hope I never take for granted...
To walk around my garden just now is to see small, tiny miracles...
When I get fraught, upset or cross I simply walk around it, grateful for the path which was David's last gift to me... as therapy it works....
Despite my losses and my small anxieties it is always a joy....
During this week as I am trying to remember who I still need to send cards to
it is a joy that I value .
On my own up there I talk to those loved ones....often out loud. I thank David for the path, I tell him my thoughts on the state of the world. He doesn't reply but I know that my chats as I walk are helping me to come to terms with losing him and my children.
The garden in its beauty is my personal church...my quiet, almost holy place.
When colleagues tell me about the quiet days held in the ancient church just down the road I smile because it's not a quiet space I need right now...it's noise, it's chatter, its communication...laughter, companionship. And that's what I get on a cruise. Best of both worlds....
Thank you God.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

I'm so glad your Cornish Tropical climate is such a joy to you, it really does sound wonderful.
Here, unusually for us we have Forsythia in bloom at the same time as Winter Jasmine. This, despite last weekends heavy snowfall and a temperature a week ago of minus 9.
One bonus, for me anyway, is the huge numbers of birds the cold weather brings to the garden. I've even had two song thrushes this past week, the first time for about 3 years.
My quiet space is at St Mary's early in the morning before the busy clatter of the day begins and then when it does get full of noisy people that's good too.
I hope you enjoy your cruise with no problems this time Jean. Blessings.

UKViewer said...

Living in mild climate must be lovely,albeit, you no doubt get your share of high winds and storms, being on a cliff top, so close to the ocean.

But God's creation is fascinating, despite mankinds depredations and exploiting of the environment.

And spring flowers and fruit in mid-winter is something to feel blessed about.

Our apple tree sprouted fresh leafs immediately after I pruned it. But the frost got to them very quickly. we live close to the Thames Estuary, so get a fair amount of cold and wet weather and high winds, but walking along the Thames path can be therapuatic, as now lots of heavy industry has gone, nature is reclaiming the land - sadly, developers are putting up high priced housing to spoil the view.

But my visits to my previous parish each month to meet my SD gives me hope. His garden is beautiful and seems capable of growing fruit and veg all year round, suitably covered against the frost. Near Canterbury, so central to the garden of England.