Tuesday 29 May 2018

Do you smoke?

I have never been a smoker but I do have ash trays in the house for the use of any smoking visitors. They aren’t used much.
When I was young I couldn’t afford it but both of my parents were definitely addicted. I now realise that they were also very wise.
I can still remember the time when they sat me down and offered me a fag.
After I’d laughed thinking it was a joke my father said,
"Jean if you ever want to smoke there are plenty of cigarettes in the house. Just take one, we won’t be cross so just help yourself. "
I never did. Somehow they’d taken all the fun out of it.
Many of my friends smoked as rebellious teenagers. I was never tempted to join in mostly because I could not afford it. Buying books was much more important than buying cigarettes. . Smoking made me cough as I found the first time I took an offered one in the pictures one night. People smoked in cinemas in those days!
Going to college I couldn’t afford to buy books let alone fags...
My first husband smoked. I never felt tempted to join in.
But after the first David died I used to open his wardrobe door to breath in his smokey scent.
But actually lighting up has never tempted me.
The second David had been a smoker but had given it up long before we met.
I can’t remember when it became a social turn off but today almost no one lights up in public. Even having an after dinner smoke on a night out hardly ever happens.
It still makes me cough. It is an anti social habit which I’m very glad I never was able to indulge in. It is also very bad for your health, especially if like me you are an asthmatic.
Thank goodness for my unexpectedly wise parents!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: