Monday 20 August 2018

Ten hours in the sea!

A story I found this morning on the BBC news section of my iPad is quite alarming for anyone who cruises.
A British woman had fallen into the Adriatic Sea off Croatia.
She had then survived for about ten hours before being rescued.
In an interview she said she had fallen off the back of the ship!
Fallen off?
On all the ships I’ve spent time on it would be impossible to just fall off.....in order to get into the sea you would have to climb over a sturdy rail.
The ship had gone back for her when they realised she was missing .
They had been able to pin point the exact place they said.
I’m trying not to think of sharks, jelly fish, other marine hazards.
The fact that she was able to tread water for ten hours is quite remarkable and I’m glad she is now safe.
But it is a very weird story.
The cruise ship was from a Norwegian line. Its impossible to compare it to Cunard.
But I can’t imagine. It could ever happen with them..
I’m glad the lady survived what must have been an ordeal...staying afloat for ten hours in a strange sea is a trauma , though in the photographs she is smiling and very happy...
it’s an odd story and for those of us who go off on big ships a warning...I can’t imagine an accident of this kind on the Cunard ships...but it’s good to know that death is not the automatic result...
The lady must have been a very fit and competent swimmer.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: