Sunday 9 December 2018

Freedom?

As this is the last Sunday before I go off on the next cruise I am trying to enjoy not having to get ready to take any services today but somehow I’m not.
I still have lots of things to do before then and this week have a very welcome visit from my family.
It’s very windy outside. This sometimes results in my being pushed over on my way to the gate.
I am still in bed just now which is a statement in my head. "I have retired. I will enjoy my retirement. "
I only know it’s Sunday because I heard a hymn being sung on the radio.
I switched it off fairly quickly...
I am going to do some packing today and I still have things to deliver...bottles of wine for old friends take up time but it should be easier on Sunday mostly because the recipients may well be in church! Whereas I am not.
I will try to analyse my reluctance to go to church at some stage but there it is...I really don’t know why!
There’s plenty to do around the house...and I have still to pack most things.
But in all of this the thought that keeps running through my head is,
"This time next week I shall be on a very big ship crossing the Atlantic. "
The fact that the only things in my suitcase are two nighties as yet doesn’t seem to matter!
On this my first free Sunday after retiring I feel strange..not apprehensive but expectant. I’m just not sure what I’m expecting!
I am in a whole new phase of my life now as a retired priest. I have every intention of enjoying it.....but not yet it seems....not yet.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: