Sunday 24 February 2019

Another old friend.

The old friend of forty odd years I have spent much time with over the last week goes home today. Although I will miss him it’s definitely time for a rest.
That’s something I’m not sure I’ll get .
Last night, eating in the pub we always went to in the old days I met another old friend I haven’t seen for years.
Lots of hugs and kisses were exchanged. But Graham the publican has changed.
He is an alcoholic and it shows now. But this is a man I owe.
When my first husband collapsed and died in our car miles away from here it was Graham who came out to drive me home because I was incapable of doing it safely in the shock of loss.
Three years later, knowing that I’d been looking for a house to buy in Cornwall he rang me to ask if I wanted to buy his house.
I did and was very happy living there .
On the day of my ordination he threw a big party for me in the village hall.
The list of all the things he has done for me over the years would fill several pages.
So when he turned up last night in the local pub I was delighted .but also shocked by the change in him. Life has not been kind.
He declared his intention of taking me out for dinner one night and of course I will go but I now fear for him. The route through years of hard drinking has not been kind...
I have been able to tell everyone in the village that I have now retired. This means that I can do my best for Graham . I do have time to try but I also know that I won’t be able to stop his drinking...just befriend an old man as he goes steadily down the hill.
Which is an odd thing for me to write. He is about twenty years younger than me.
So be it Lord.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: