Thursday 7 February 2019

Salesman at the door!

Whilst I was having a quiet day yesterday someone appeared on my doorstep.
The young man had noticed the solar tiles on my roof and thought it was worth stopping.
I did not invite him in to talk. I listened to him on the doorstep.
He had deduced that as we’d already got solar tiles then it was worth suggesting a new way of saving electricity.
I listened politely and then informed him that since I’d had one con man trying to sell me something I didn’t need or want I was unlikely to be persuaded.
He persisted. I listened unmoved.
The new idea involves heat exchange. It sounded fine but why would I want it?
To save me money was the answer.
There was one problem with that. My money would only be saved after several years of paying for the various devices.
The brochures showed large picture like things hanging on walls....so no need to go up into the loft.
I didn’t weaken after listening politely...
Any investment for the future seems doomed if you are speaking to an octogenarian.
It was a polite exchange and I did then read all the stuff he had left with me.
It all sounds fine. But I shan’t be going for it.
Investing a large amount of money in order to save money is obviously a daft idea for someone whose time on earth is now limited.
It was a polite meeting...I took the sales posters from him and looked at them once he’d gone.
But no, I’m not investing in heat exchange...the thought of having people in the house working to get it all set up is frankly scary.
I wish the young man well. But hope not to speak to him again. Life really is too short!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Bob Collis said...

Good decision.

UKViewer said...

I think that door to door sales should be banned. You were able to turn him away, but how many more vulnerable, elderly people have been taken in by them and ripped of (or robbed) is those are the words by such conmen or conwomen.

We being urban, frequently get polite individuals coming to the door, mixed between the chancers to genuine sales people, who seem amazed that someone could resist their blandishments.

I can recall the very smartly dressed Irish Gentleman, who came to the door offering to replace the Sofit boards on our victorian terrace. The trouble was, he stunk of alcohol and slurred his speech so much, we could barely understand what he was saying.

For all of his glossy literature and demanding to be let in, he was given a firm and polite NO!, although his grasp of that word was obviously flawed as he seemed not to understand that NO means go away and stop bothering us.

In the end, I had to threaten to call the police to get him to leave, only to see him stagger up two doors and inflict himself on a neighbour. That gentleman was not as polite as we, and raised voices and fists got the message across much quicker than we did. Last seen, heading for the pub on the corner, perhaps for another boost of artificial bonhomie>