Saturday 16 March 2019

Passwords?

I got cross last night, mostly with myself but the anger was real.
A bulb in a lamp needed to be replaced. I couldn’t find one in the house that would do so I had a brainwave. If I ordered one from Amazon I’d get it the next day.
Ha! I got through all the steps needed very quickly and then I was asked for my password.
What? I don’t remember ever needing a password before if I was ordering something.
I put in a password I use a lot. It was wrong. I tried again several times and failed.
This morning I don’t know if I’m locked out for good and to save my sanity I will not be trying again.
I’ve taken a bulb out of another seldom used lamp and regret my futile attempts last night. I really should have known better.
I do understand the need to be sure that we are who we say we are on line....but it is starting to get silly.
Ordering a set of light bulbs last night was not a major purchase. It amounted to just a few pounds. I was clearly not going to cheat Amazon out of anything...I just needed some new light bulbs.
The fact that I failed is one more step into old age....
I forget things....particularly passwords that keep needing to be changed when I get them wrong. The list of old passwords is now filling a page in my diary!
And that’s probably the wrong to do too.
I enjoy so many things I am able to do on line in my old age.
Living alone doesn’t feel at all lonely because there is always someone to talk to.
The games I play with people I don’t know keep my brain functioning...ahem.
But asking me to put in a password is always going to be a frustration.
At some stage I will try to buy something again. But not today.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

UKViewer said...

There are applications like "Password Keeper" which store all of your passwords for you and work with your browser to automatically populate the password boxes for you.

I believe you can also print out list to keep in a safe place for manual entry..

Revjeanrolt said...

Thanks for that ....I’ll look into it....it might be a solution if not the solution.

KeyReed said...

You are very naughty to have a password you 'use a lot'.