Saturday 20 July 2019

The Joy of Old Age. 

I keep losing things.   It’s not so much actually  losing them as forgetting where I put them!!   This has happened several time in the last week.  I know that my cardigan or my pen are in safe places but I fail to locate them. 

This is a time wasting exercise so I have become adept at substitution .   I did not need a blue cardigan, another colour would do just as well! Etc......

.I have wardrobes full of clothes , David’s still have their home here even though I’ve parted with most of his day clothes but I still have his dinner jacket and trousers hanging in his wardrobe next to several of my posh frocks that I only wear on cruises! 

I know that I should have a mass throwing out ...soon. But somehow whenever I decide to do it I get interrupted. That’s my  excuse anyway. 

This week I have had an afternoon with a very old friend in the next village...she is now well into her nineties and physically frail. Her mind though is as clear as it always was. We sit and natter, mostly about the village and it’s people but also we talk on the joys of being old. 

This week she told me that people actually ring her up to make sure she’s still alive.   I’m not yet at that stage...well....

We both agree however that losing our stuff is one of the hazards of being ancient.   It’s not so much losing as failing to remember where we left it. Our conversations are full of girlish laughter.  We still giggle, we still have fun, mostly at the efforts of other people to keep pace with what’s going on in both the world and the village. 

People coming to see me often ask after her since she is now an obviously old woman who is my friend. 

"She’s fine!"   My reply often stumps them. The sight of her driving into the village terrifies them but her car has far fewer bumps and scrapes on it than mine! 

Life is still what you make it even after getting past eighty.   She and I have discussed the next problem...one of our old friends had her ninetieth birthday this week. She had a party I’m told but somehow I missed it...  she now has a full time carer otherwise she would need to move into the local residential home.   

 My old friend and I are still independant women and need neither .  We are fine..just a little bit forgetful. 





1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Memory is an issue for me as well. I try to be systematic about things, but often put things away and than forget where I put them.

I hope that my system works, because otherwise I will be in dead "Stuk" as a German friend might say.

At least my diary works. I have just drafted my sermon for mid-week service on Matthew 20:26-28 being a Servant. And at least I feel I am getting better at that. Or at least I think so.

If I can remember that is?????