Thursday 9 April 2020

Pandemic!

Who could ever have thought it? I certainly couldn’t. On a personal level I’m fine. I spend most days on my own as normal. But this is different. Some kind people have phoned to ask if I needed anything. Mostly I don’t. There’s very little fresh food left but plenty of dried stuff to reconstitute. And what’s in my freezer of course...today I will start taking stuff out to defrost.. .. But really at my age it’s not the end of the world if I die. It seems absurd to struggle to keep going but there’s nothing in me to simply accept imminent death as inevitable. I have not heard of anyone local carrying the virus or getting sick. The stats for Cornwall are much lower than the rest of the country. So I suppose being remote is working well for us but everyone here is dreading the usual influx of visitors all ready for Easter...Good Friday , always a black day for Christians followed by the very real joy of Easter Sunday will be diluted this year I think. Churches are closed! Who ever could have thought it possible? In an odd way it helps to see that the rest of the world is also suffering...but the statistics of death are terrible..staying at home, accepting the self limiting controls imposed upon us is easy for an ancient woman. It’s not all that different from my normal life here. Standing at my front window I see Falmouth across the sea. From the back window I see the meadow leading on to Portscatho. There is sea all around us...whilst it’s quiet the sight of the sea in the distance always fills my heart with gladness....In this awful time small joys count. So looking out at distant church spires against the blue of the sea...is still glorious! Thank you God.

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Perhaps you are resisting assistance, because you are so used to being isolated that it is now the norm?

But fresh food veg, milk, eggs are a good thing to have in the larder. Fortunately for us our local minimarket is just down the street and able to provide for most things, even eggs, which we got a day ago and immediately ate as scrambled eggs - a real treat.

People who bake have had to do without or use powered egg or powered milk. I wonder how some friends who all bake virtually each day, make their own bread are faring?

In the meantime, the huge bakery around the corner continues and the delivery lorries pass our house regularly, as do the milk lorries, with a depot at the bottom of our street.

bluestar said...

There shouldn't be any influx of visitors this year since people are meant to stay home Jean. This is an Easter unlike any other probably. Keep being gladdened by the sparkling sea. As you say, small joys.