Saturday 30 May 2020

Fifty years ago.

This morning I woke early....too early so I switched on the radio. Long before normal programs started I listened, eyes closed prepared to go back to sleep but I didn’t. The words first caught me and then engaged me. No sleep was possible as I found myself reliving a period of my life long forgotten...the woman I was then is still a small part of me but is now buried deep inside my present existence. I then taught English as a second language in Rochdale at the time when many children were arriving from other countries. We were a small staff and we got on well so when two of us decided to get married it was at a ceremony devised by me. Long before I became a priest I was a true believer. God was always central to my life but I hadn’t realised how evident this was until I was asked to devise a wedding...so after I got over the shock I set to to write a simple service and the music was also simple using a Beatles song as the background. Imagine! I’ve forgotten all the rest of the stuff I put into this ceremony but one Saturday we all met together at their home and vows were exchanged and we all sang. i can’t remember much of it now but this morning long before anyone should have been awake there it was.. old memories rushed back. I hope the couple are still together. Only one other person from that time is still on my Christmas card list and she occasionally sends me news...and gives them mine. Apperently no one was surprised when I became a priest...apart from me but this morning looking back to a time when I was a young woman I realised yet again the joy , the absolute glory of this tiny fraction of my life. Thank you!

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Lovely story. You might find a role as a Wedding Planner? I hear that it is quite lucrative - given the amount modern couples spend on their weddings.

We got married for £350 in 1989, on a shoe string as I was retiring and my spouse was not well paid. Her mother made the cake. Register Office fee's and a small family only reception came to £350. Honeymoon in Prestatyn on a long weekend, both had to be back at work after the bank holiday.

Happy memories.