Thursday 16 September 2021

No swallows!

Listening to the radio this morning I hear the talk about the swallows. They migrate at this time of the year but having heard the people on the radio talking about it I realised that this year I have not had nearly as many as usual. There are only a few out there...and its not that they have already gone....we just havnt had as many as usual...I have no idea why! And as Ive only just realised it its obviously not something that is important to me. But at this time of the year I have always taken their departure as a sign that the summer is over! I have now been out and looked around carefully feeling guilty that I have only just noticed their absence ! The swallows have gone! This is very early and most unusual! I am not sure that Ive had as many as usual...probably not but it is worrying me a bit. Every year for the last twenty they have gathered in great numbers...until this year! I will try not to feel that the world is changing before my eyes but it is a strange thing ! There are not many other birds either. Even the large cock from next door has gone missing too. Running through various reasons for this lack of birds out there I am puzzled...everything looks normal...but the birds are missing! Why? People with guns ? Some sort of avian flu? I have no idea! But I hope they come back again at some time!

No comments: