Thursday 21 December 2017

Christmas shopping?

Waking early I heard the words..."This is the busiest shopping weekend of the year!"
I can't imagine now leaving my shopping so late but I did do it once. I used to enjoy the scrum and bustle with the general air of excitement.
The only people who leave things so late now are mostly men, freed from their jobs to be able to get special presents for their wives.....
I have been given some very unlikely last minute gifts especially when David worked in London.
His first job was in an office very close to Oxford St.
The last minute shopping was often alcohol fuelled and bought in company with several other blokes,after the staff party!
Some very unlikely gifts appeared in our house on Christmas morning so Boxing Day was often the day to return them.
This became almost a ritual with lots of laughter...but I am glad that I no longer have to rush around shops the day after Christmas...
Once David had retired his last minute gifts were much better...he would go off on his own and without too many gins found some lovely things, often helped by quietly efficient young ladies.
The last present was one I still keep safe and wear occasionally...a beautiful gold lily.
I took it out yesterday, kissed it and put it back....it will not be coming with me this year..
I am glad that I don't have to rush out to buy last minute presents.
Today is the day I open the gifts waiting for me...some of them are too big to go into cruise luggage...
Tomorrow I travel. ...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I hope that your travels and cruise are fruitful and give you respite from the routine of parish work. I know that you are a free agent, but I also know, how busy the run up to Christmas is. Good that you are escaping again.