Tuesday 27 February 2018

The beast from the east.

Last night I was startled to find that a very thin covering of snow had covered the ground outside. An hour later it had gone. The road outside is free of either ice or snow but I am reluctant to go far today.
A friend is arriving from up country this week. We are booked to attend a concert in the next village at the end of the week but suddenly nothing is certain...
I have seen no gritters around here...I’m not sure they do that any more...
So all plans are looking dodgy...
I shall watch the traffic today before I cancel any plans.
But what a novelty! The temperature outside is minus two!
Only once before in the last eighteen years have we had even a sprinkling of snow. I have a photograph of the outline of a deer who had clearly spent the night here quite close to the house...several years ago, the last time we had a tiny touch of ice and snow.
At this stage I have no idea if my friend will arrive, whether my groceries will be delivered, or whether I will get to the concert in the next village.....
Two large full coaches have just driven past so clearly traffic is moving...so when I go out later the roads should be clear of the slippy stuff.
Compared to the reports coming from the rest of the country we are in a very fortunate position...it’s just the uncertainties that are a bit worrying...
Us old ladies don’t like questions marks over all our plans...especially when this icy covering is nothing compared to what everything else is suffering...but it’s on with the thermal underwear, not worn for many years.
I am putting off driving into the village for the time being...
Hey ho...or words to that effect....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

UKViewer said...

According to the weather forecast today, Cornwall has an Amber warning for snow and blizzards for late today and tomorrow - so perhaps getting your supplies in today is a good idea. Its been bad here, but now clearing a little. But no gritting lorries out, so side roads are pretty dodgy. Driving slowly and carefully seems good advice.

Revjeanrolt said...

I am startled to find that I can’t look out. My windows are all snowed up!
Opening the door showed me that a great fall of snow is coming down...fast... never seen the like here in sub tropical Cornwall!

UKViewer said...

I am not going to say anything. Even Cornwall and the Gulf Stream are not exempt Climate Change, which according to some on the news is responsible for this big beast from the east. But I like you are old enough to remember harsh winters in the fifties and sixties, which went on for weeks, not a few days.