Friday 4 May 2018

Old friends.

Just now I have several very old friends here, people I’ve known for about forty years. They always get in touch to arrange meals out, trips in boats, walks on beaches, all the old activities we have done together over decades.
We are all getting old.
Some of us are fitter than others physically, others are brighter mentally.
All five of us, remnants of a bygone age went out together yesterday before they all go home at the weekend.
We parked the car at one end of a long beach, walked to the other end where a restaurant served us lunch and drinks before heading back to the car.
The last time we did this was the epic moment when I got stuck on the rocks as the tide rushed in at top speed.
This episode meant that yesterday I strode ahead of the others, determined not to get into the same plight.
I was very tired when I got home. To find that I’d missed several visitors. Notes stuck through the door had amused my gardener.
Today I am tired. I can’t do this sort of outing without paying for it later.
All of the party are a similar age,so I suspect we are all feeling tired this morning. But it was very good to be able to do something I was always able to do with people I’ve known for all those years.
Today I shall need to rest.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I think that what you did was brave, but also vital. Keeping up a modicum if fitness and mobility is important, so today, I will be on a prayer walk around the parish bounds with others. We finish in a Cafe, where we breakfast together. Its something unique where we get to enjoy the open air, fairly early before traffic builds and home again before lunch. I value the fellowship and those who come might have mobility issues, but want to pray with others for our own community. We stop at points where our people live and pray for them their families and friends, we stop outside shops and businesses and pray for their business and the services they provide to us (and wider). This is something that everyone can do, not just beating the bounds of the parish, but being with the parish, where they live.