Friday, 31 August 2018

Frank Field.

I like Frank Field. He is a hard working man who has often bucked the party line.
When I lived briefly near Chester he was the MP for the nearby area and was thought very highly of by everyone I met.
I am not sure about his statements on racism and how the Labour leadership has reacted to it but losing him from the party would be a serious blow I think.
In a Democratic Party there must surely be room for some divergent opinion.
We can’t all believe in the same things!
I do regret his public announcement yesterday but am not surprised.
He has always been a one off.
And that is what made him such a good MP and why he gets re elected in a very middle class area.
I can imagine that his colleagues will be demanding his resignation from all sorts of things but I doubt that he’d contemplate resigning and then refighting his seat. The cost alone would be prohibitive.
His words should be taken seriously by those demanding his resignation. The Labour Party has always been a broad church.. there is room for variations on the theme...but he is not alone I think. If he goes several other people might well decide he is right. Do those shouting for his resignation want that?
I hate seeing in fighting in any political party but it does happen...It’s part of our democratic process. And I also worry about Corbyn at times.
But this is the nature of political parties....we align with the one more closely aligned with our own beliefs but I have seldom found one or any body that holds exactly the same views.
It would be a great mistake to try to drive him out.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: