Saturday 11 August 2018

Shop shut!


I am trying not to feel guilty about the big stores closing in the town centres of this country.
I used to shop in the town when I lived in Essex...Chelmsford had some excellent shops along the high street...and I could cycle into town by the river and tie up at Marks and Spencer. It was easy.
Now I live miles out in the country...the nearest village is a five minute drive from here. I used to drive into Truro regularly using the car ferry but over the last year I have bought almost everything on line.
Most of this is because I’m old...but it’s also just so easy....I can spend ten minutes on line and one of the big stores will deliver the next day.
I use two of them, the ones I have shares in....my stuff arrives cold and fresh and is lifted into my kitchen by polite helpful men.
So I do feel some guilt about deserting the high street !
It’s not just grocery though...clothes, books, towels, reading glasses, Uncle Tom etc.......it’s just so easy to spend money on line.
Neither David would have approved of this but really it is the easiest way to shop for me.
Going down to the village I still use the pharmacy and the lovely local shops that sell various gifts...tea towels with pictures of the Roseland go well as presents for various people.
But I don’t into Truro any more....the only reason for going in over the last years has been to go to the Cathedral.
So I’m feeling a little guilty hearing about shop closures on the various high streets..
It would be a hypocrisy to persuade anyone else to shop in towns....but I do hope that those who are not ancient and living in glorious isolation...do continue to do it . It would be a great shame for the high streets to close down....I think....
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: