Wednesday 20 February 2019

Card problems.

When yesterday I blamed my memory loss for the failure of my card to pay for our supper I was being honest and assuming that my memory was to blame . But last night it happened again and this time I put everything in right. Fortunately earlier I had been into St Mawes and carried enough cash to be able to pay for the supper.
Maybe I need a new card now...the present one seems blighted.
I didn’t even get as far as putting in the numbers this time . The machine it was fed into proclaimed it as unusable before any attempt to use it could be made.
"Invalid card"
Humph!
Fortunately the man I was out with is a very old friend indeed of nearly fifty years. He was more amused than anything else...and produced enough cash to pay for our suppers. We are going out again tonight so this morning I will go down to the village to get some cash, before I talk to the bank. I clearly need a new card.
The situation is further compounded by the fact that this account is a very old one. It was the joint account that I held with my first husband David. This has meant that over the years I have been sometimes been mistaken for the senior bank manager whose card it was, fairly frequently.
So off I go this morning to get more money, whilst I wait for hopefully a new card...
It’s an unusual situation I find myself in...but on checking my account this morning I find nothing wrong with the account itself....it’s just the card that’s not working.
A friend reading the blog yesterday says that her husband had had a similar problem. This helps. Not much but at least I know I’m not alone!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I had this problem, the bank told me how to sort it out very easily. I had to put it into an ATM and press a certain instruction. Cant recall which one exactly but hope your bank can help.

Revjeanrolt said...

Thanks for that. Oddly today it’s been fine...so I now have rather too much folding cash in my purse.....I’m sure it won’t stay there too long.

UKViewer said...

I have had card problems. I can order a replacement card through online banking or by telephone. One card, due to expire, somehow split on the edge, fortunately its replacement arrived in the very next post.

Not sure why cards are being funny. The ones that you tap on the pay thingie, sometimes work, sometimes not. I'm told that sometimes retailers machinery is not working properly, not the fault of the card. Still chip and pin is still available, although I know that some banks are talking of ending it.

I have heard that I can set up my mobile phone as a mechanism to pay with, but I am not sure that waving my ancient black berry at a terminal will work, but I am tempted.

In the main, I don't use ATM's much, as supermarkets seem to offer cashback, during transactions, which is very helpful and meets my need.