Monday 25 March 2019

Memorial dog bowl.

Yesterday I took myself off to the next village. The one where I used to live. It’s very pretty and it was full of people all taking advantage of glorious weather.
I walked along the sea wall and spotted a dog drinking from a bowl on the ground. It wasn’t a moveable bowl.It is in fact granite. I had put it there years earlier under a tap. When I lived in the village I cleaned it fairly frequently and got cross with hikers cleaning their boots in it.
These days I only see it occasionally but I was glad to see it was still useful.
The people with the dog saw my broad grin and asked me if I knew what the letters on it were.
I did.
"DJS stands for David John Sharples." I said. " When my husband died he told me not to dedicate a bench for him...so I did a dog bowl instead. I’m so glad it’s still being used."
They gazed at me .
"You put this here? "
I nodded...."A long time ago now."
"So what’s this one for? " they pointed at the bottom line of the inscription. It was an M
"That’s for Major. His dog who died a short time after him."
To say they were amazed is an understatement. They said they had been using it for their dog for years and often wondered about the initials.
Apparently it is still a useful addition to the village!
I am pleased and I think DJS would be amazed. I hope so....at least it’s not a bench....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Bob Collis said...

A lovely memorial.

Rat Bites said...

How lovely, and original. Is it very difficult to do? And were the local Council involved?

Revjeanrolt said...

I had to get permission from the council. They were amused and very happy for it to happen.
I used the man who makes the grave stones to do it. He thought it was hilarious. Made a nice change!