Sunday 23 June 2019

Another bleep bleep birthday!

Waking far too early I remembered that today is the day I have learned to dread. It is my birthday. And I’m now 82!
Who on earth celebrates being 82?
The day outside looks dark and cold...and rain is forecast for later. And I am not happy.
I’ve checked my car after a visitor yesterday told me I had a dodgy tyre...it needs some air in it .
There is no sign of the pump I used to have in the boot. It’s clearly been appropriated by a "helper" during the last year.
So do I go out to get to the nearest garage which is about twenty miles away or do I just hope a visitor will bring a foot pump with them?
Will there be a visitor?
A solitary birthday would not be the first...and is not as bad as it sounds....it’s just one more example of age overtaking me....fast. All my nearest and dearest have gone before me.
I’m not as miserable as I sound...I’m quite philosophical really.
Actually getting to 82 is an achievement of sorts...though I’m not sure I want to get to 92!
Being independent, not waiting for a nurse, or any other helper to arrive means I am still in pretty good nick...whilst this continues on I go...
But it’s not a time for celebration....though......
A beautiful basket of flowers arrived last night for which I’m very grateful...
I am not expecting much from today....a quiet, solitary day looks appropriate.
And I’m trying to say the next bit with some conviction.
Thank you God.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Bob Collis said...

Happy birthday Jean. Have a good one. Better to be growing old than not.
Enjoy the flowers and some wine.

UKViewer said...

It is wonderful to be 82 and many of your age, continue to do stuff. Joan, who has a disabled husband still managed to bake dozens of cakes for our Summer Fayre yesterday and sold them as well. She is our parish advocate for the childrens society, having been childless until she adopted via their services over 50 years ago, and than had her own child. She has had two knee replacements and cares (with support) for her disabled husband who had a major stroke about eight years ago, which affected him badly.

I know many others who are in their eighties. And many of them come to the courses we run, particularly the Pilgrim courses and contribute an enormous amount to the work of the church. Most of our flower arrangers are in their seventies or eighties, and our Pastoral Care worker is in her mid seventies.

Putting it in perspective, most of the older members of our congregation has served the Church and God in every office open to them over the years, and one PCC Member who is our Sacristan, is in her late eighties and very effective she remains, despite a mobility disability and macular degeneration.

Another lady who is my assistant verger for funerals is eighty and has been in church for over 60 years, married there, raised her family there and was widowed with us. But she knows everyone. Formerly a school worker, many of the children she worked with are now in their fifties or older.

The point I make is that you still have much to give, by sharing your life via the blog, you cause us to pause for thought and with your final words, "Thank You God" remind us of our own blessing to thank him for.

PixieMum said...

Best wishes on your birthday and many thanks for the gift of your daily blog.

Ray Barnes said...

Happy birthday Jean. Honestly it isn"t too bad, gaining another year"s wisdom
As I am now 84 and have lived alone since John died nearly ten years ago I can say with total conviction that life can still be good (even if only sometimes).
It seems to me that your main problem is that you live in a rather isolated spot.
Have you ever thought of taking a lodger/companion?
Just a thought.

Rat Bites said...

I am thankful for your blog and will be very sorry when Time eventually overtakes you. Many blessings and may God bless your continuing works X
PS On pilgrimage this week: will remember you at the Shrine, with more thanksgiving x