Monday 9 December 2019

Christmas Angst!

It’s very depressing to write my cards this year. Roughly half the people on the list are no longer with us. They haven’t moved....they have died! I suppose this shouldn’t be too much of a surprise but oddly it is. I picture the old friend, start to write and then remember....
It’s an indication of sorts that none of us can escape the inevitable. I just hope it’s not my turn next....perhaps next but one!
I stopped writing the cards after I’d realised that I can’t send post to heaven...or the other place come to that!
Some of the people in my book have been friends for fifty years or more! Wonderful! I don’t see the far flung ones any more unless they come to Cornwall but it’s still nice to keep in touch if only at Christmas.
But having started the process I stopped...I just don’t feel Christmassy!
It’s all becoming too much combined with getting ready to be away...
Everyone here knows why I go away every Christmas. But I’m thinking dark thoughts right now...and am not really in the spirit either of cruising or Christmas. Staying warm in bed feels good...
So I am up , dressed, ready for my first caller of the day...who will arrive shortly...
I have my cleaners present wrapped and ready to go and I regret that having wrapped it yesterday I can’t remember what it is!
My memory fails far too often these days! Writing the cards was simply depressing!
As for this daft election....words do actually fail...polite ones do anyway. Mr Johnson has a lot to answer for! But I will be voting!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

My spouse does the cards and keeps track of those who have died or are no longer at an address and haven't given us a forwarding address. I give her a list for church and she does them as well.

I might be lazy, but she has much better handwriting than me so my excuse is wanting cards arriving to look good and with best handwriting.

As for feeling darkness, you have been through a lot in the past year or so, and losing your PTO was perhaps something that you have not got over. I appears patently unfair, but also presents an opportunity for you to spread your wings.

Advent (I prefer that description is a time of reflection and preparation, which is what you are doing, and which we all need to do. I saw my SD last week for confession which lifts some of the darkness, when I feel that grace that flows from being reconciled to my own limitations and things that trouble me. Politics is one such thing. Being angry about how things have gone over the past year or so, and being confused about things is unsettling for many of us. But the Die is cast as they say, and we will have to wait a few days to see what the future holds, for better or worse.

Prayer is a stablising factor for me - and the routine of Daily Prayer, particularly Compline before sleep is really helpful, and I find it a comfort before I sleep.

I hope that you overcome the dark bit soon.