Thursday 27 February 2020

Ash Wednesday..

So we are now in Lent. I was aware a little belatedly yesterday that it was Ash Wednesday. Memories of past days when I collected old Palm crosses to burn to make the ash surfaced a little belatedly. I shall keep Lent of course but not in the same way that I did in the past. I remember only too well the lengths I used to go to whilst I was still a working priest. One shining example from many memories presented me with a golden vision. I found the photographs I’d taken on one of our world trips when we had arrived at a beautiful ancient church in New Zealand built from wood. There was a picture of my husband kneeling in prayer which brought me very close to tears...we had loved our time travelling in David’s last years. He kept Lent much better than I did I have to admit. I can still remember his shock if I ate a chocolate biscuit whilst we were away. The whole idea of going off on a cruise in Lent was a very strange one. But David had things to do...he was working his way through several long held wishes...things he wanted to do before he died...I think we covered most of them but there are still things that I want to see before I join him. Keeping a good Lent this year will mean my continuing on my solitary path...but there are no definite rules in my Lent work book..it all seems a little daft for an old woman living alone.. we shall see!

No comments: