Saturday 22 February 2020

Problem Skin.

The decision as to whether I can attend the local pantomime is taken. I can’t go because I don’t want to frighten the horses. I have had a bad night, sleeping on and off but aware of both pain and itching on various parts of my body so this is the moment when I have to come clean. I have skin cancer. So far this is not something I’ve spoken about even to close friends. Only one other person knows because he has the same problem. All the time spent getting a tan, enjoying the brown look has left me with a problem. It is not a bad problem right now but it is fairly obvious some days which is why I don’t go out much. Some days it’s not too bad...I can get away with a joke and a laugh but after a very bad night last night I have got up looking dreadful. There’s nothing I can do about it except keep my head down, literally. So I have dreamt up some convincing explanations as to why I look dreadful but now in the cold light of day the truth seems the best option. I don’t want to shock people...I certainly don’t want sympathy...but I just can’t go into a crowded hall with a face of bright red patches...a night trying to explain it all away does not seem like a good idea. Most days I look fine. No one would notice....but today they would. And I really don’t want anyone trying to make me feel better. I’m not miserable, I’m fine most of the time but just now the red itchy skin is winning...damm it.

1 comment:

Babs said...

There for the grace of God comes to mind Jean.
Is there nothing to be done? You don't mention Drs or hospital visits. Are you just going to give up and let it run its course? That doesn't sound like the Jean I know
You have my email if you feel the need to talk xx