Sunday 9 August 2020

No church.

I woke much too early to get up so I switched on the radio by the bed and prepared to listen my way back to sleep. I did doze a little but heard a lot of stiff on radio 4 that I’ve seldom heard before. It reminded me of something from around ten years ago. I was asked to do a funeral for a man who had been ill for years and his son brought me a tape to play in church during the service. I took it down to church to play it through. Some of it was music but most of it was obviously from the radio...I sat in church listening . Of course I would play the music if I could. I was arranging some flowers when I stopped dead. Coming over the air waves was ...."Oh you canna push your granny, no you canna push your granny , canna push your granny off a bus." The verger listening with me roared with laughter. "You are not going to play that are you?" Well this was a problem...I had promised his son that yes I would use the tape. I was reluctant to try to edit the tape in case I ruined it . So I asked the verger to do the honours on the day of the funeral, to stop the tape and start it again further along. It worked. The dead mans son was very pleased with the service. This morning I had a fellow feeling with the man. All sorts of stuff come through the airwaves in the very early morning...but no...no grannies being pushed off buses...so far..
The problem with waking so early is that in a few hours I will need to sleep...and that’s when the phone will ring. So not the best start to this Sunday. I am getting used to not having services...but it’s setting a dangerous precedent. I may never want to go back to doing three services in two different churches...listening to the radio instead is fine.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Our Sunday will not involve going to church either. But a Speech therapist ringing Jen at 11 am to hear her reading an item from a Newspaper or magazine and provide coaching. The Stroke affected the parts of the brain that control speech, so everything has to be relearned and their are exercises to both retrain the brain and speech muscles to find new pathways.

So, she will be taped and it will be played back to her in a session at home next week.
Not sure she likes to hear that myself.