Tuesday 11 August 2020

Self isolated?

Self isolation isn’t something I’ve chosen. It’s just a fact of life. I am an old woman who lives alone. I would much rather have my husband living with me...but I am now used to my life since he died. It’s not bad. I can cope. We are a group of four homes in rural Cornwall . Three of the homes are lived in permanently. The other house is a holiday let and over the summer I’ve got used to different people turning up weekly. It reminds me of the time when I was one of them. During the six week school holiday in the summer I used to bring my children down to the north coast where we would spend six weeks camping and surfing. . My husband would come for a couple of weeks before going back on his own. Those were good times for us all and it’s no wonder that my mind goes back to them during this annual invasion. I can’t resent people for doing what I did for years. But I’m told there are far more people here than usual. Everyone tells me not to attempt to park anywhere at the moment. Staying quietly at home is clearly the best bet....but it means that the only people I see in a week are the ones who work here...my cleaner and my gardener. Odd friends drop in and they are very welcome but some people I don’t know turn up regularly. I realised some time ago that I must be considered lonely. I’m not. I’m really not and I just don’t let people in when they arrive to do me good. I find myself resenting it...being alone is not as bad as people think it is. In fact it is very liberating...I am catching up on lots of things left untouched for years. I am writing...though the story of my life will never see light of day....it would be far too shocking! Even I am shocked when I recall some of my more unlikely relationships. But it’s not a bad idea to get it all down somewhere and that’s where the iPad is so useful. It’s light, easy to carry and I can use it wherever I happen to be. So turning my thoughts into revealing words is easy...and I am constantly staggered by how many people read them. Thank you God.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Publish under a pseudo name such as "Lily the Pink" share it with a select few on Kindle like your book "Joey" and we will promise not to divulge you real identity. A few Bishops might be startled, but the rest of us will be delighted.