Sunday 25 October 2020

Hunger! !

One thing that has both cheered and impressed me during this dreary period was the way Marcus Rashford spoke out about free school meals over the last few days. Being hungry and not growing strong and healthy is something I care about because to some degree it affected me as a young girl. We were poor. My father drank. In his desperation for alcohol there were days when he would go through every pocket, every purse in the house to get enough to buy a pint. As a teen age girl it was my job to try to get him dressed and fed to go to work on the night shift. My mum worked in the cotton mill and blamed me if she found my dad still at home. Without school dinners during the holidays I was always hungry during my teen age years. Hunger was part of my life until I managed to get away to go to college where the food was wonderful. On hungry days it was hard to concentrate on learning anything... Now looking back I know how important it was for me when the lady in the bread shop gave me a muffin sometimes with the words..."Thats for you Jean. Eat it before you get home. " Trying to make sure that our young people have enough to eat is important and this week for the first time for years I have remembered the hunger pangs and the gratitude for the good days when there was enough to eat. So well done Marcus...this week gave me something just as important as bread...gratitude for those who care. And who try to do something about it. My bad couple of years of trying to get my dad to go to work didnt hurt me much..I grew strong and healthy in the end...thank you God.

2 comments:

Martha's Sister said...

Good morning Jean. Thanks for sharing your story, it must have been a very difficult time for you. Young Marcus has shown the way hasn’t he. And I’m pleased to see there are so many caring people about. But I guess we knew that already, it’s just they normally do good deeds quietly. Take care

UKViewer said...

Jean, I recall many times when I was raised either in care or later back home, with a father who worked for very low wages, which was barely enough to support him, let alone three children. There was stigma attached to having free school meals, means tested and our father having to give details of his income and outgoings to nosy parker strangers. When he was injured and off work for more than a year, we virtually starved at home and our school holidays were a nightmare.