Thursday 26 November 2020

Christmas!

I am writing this in response to several enquiries as to how I am going to spend Christmas..The assumption is always that I would wish to be with my children and of course this is true but simply not possible unfortunately. Both of my children have died before me. I wish this had not happened but it has. My daughter rang me several years ago to say she had the worst case of flu she had ever had. She died the following day. the flu turned out to be meningitis. My son and my husband came with me to her funeral and they both died during the following year. So I have no close relations left. I live alone. Its fine...I still have distant relations but no close ones any more.....so Christmas is always going to be a solitary occasion. This year with no lovely services allowed in church because of this virus we shall all be finding different ways of dealing with it and our loved ones. Every year recently I have chosen to travel.... several Christmas cruises have taken me round the world. This year I am booked into the local hotel. Its close enough to the church for me to walk up the hill after breakfast. I shall have my mask with me! I have mo idea how it will all turn out but I have got used to being alone at Christmas...in the middle of lots of people. ....its fine...I can do this...

2 comments:

Martha's Sister said...

Good afternoon Jean, thanks for sharing your story with us. I do hope you have an enjoyable Christmas- when it comes!
I’ve spent Christmas Day alone in the past and quite frankly, I really enjoyed the day! And that’s the thing isn’t it? It’s just a day - or a few days and then life continues 😊.
Take care

UKViewer said...

The new tier system allows churches to stay open for Public Worship. We are now planning for a Carol service (ticket only) the week before Christmas 2 services on Christmas Even (our Crib/Christingle service will be online. We will have a 10 am Christmas Eve Service and Midnight Mass. Christmas Day, having historically poorly attended, will not have our normal 10 am, but will have a 10 am family Service on 27th December. So, we will miss two out the normal five services. Which is manageable. And of course still under Covid19 safe restrictions, social distancing, sanitization, cleaning and face masks.

Given we only have one priest, our retired Priest is unwell and me, that will be tiring enough. And we will have volunteers cleaning between services as well.

I will be praying for you as you approach a Christmas alone, without your normal cruise companions. But you will be in all of our thoughts this Christmas.